Friday 10 June 2022

Post Crick: Day 5

Another sunny start to the day, and this time it continued.  I set off at 8.30, and immediately had to wait why a boat came past the moorings.  A hire boat was also setting off a little way behind me.  All Oaks Wood looked lovely in the sunshine.  Then just after the Brinklow Marina entrance I saw a familiar boat coming towards me — Sheila on Salodin.

I like the fact that the crane at the Armada boat yard claims to be a Tonka.

I passed Herbie at Newbold, but didn’t see Neil or Kath.  I was hoping that I’d timed my arrival at Rugby right, because I needed to go shopping and was hoping for a space to moor.  There was a choice, so I slotted in between two boats in one of the less vulnerable spots (all the moorings are on a bend, but some have more trees opposite, and less room).  The only trouble was that the mooring ring was missing at the stern; the boat behind me was using a very nicely made rope shackle, but I didn’t know if it was his own.  In the end, I improvised using the bike lock that I have for when we feel the need to lock ourselves to a mooring.

After my first trip to Tesco (I did two — the fridge was literally empty) the boat behind had gone and the shackle was still there, so I swapped onto it.  Other shopping was some sealant from B&M Bargains.  When I washed the boat yesterday, I found when cleaning the windows that the cabin porthole glass was a bit loose.  The engine room one leaked a few years ago and had to be re-sealed, so I wanted to do the same again.  I started making a chilli for the next couple of days, and had some lunch.  Then when the water point was free I pushed over to the other side to top up, which didn’t take long.  I’ve come along to the Rugby golf course moorings just beyond the new Houlton Bridge, because they’re handy for the station which will be used for various comings and goings over the next few days.

6 miles, 0 locks.  (66 miles, 37 locks)

1 comment:

Herbie Neil said...

We saw you pass, but we were having a lazy breakfast in bed! We did get going before eleven however.

Neil & Kath