Thursday 6 April 2023

Back to the Marina

There was lots of rain in the night and it was still raining on and off this morning.  I chose a moment when I didn’t think it was too wet to go for a walk — but in fact I got soaked.  This time I went the opposite way down the lane from Bridge 57, to where the Tove goes under the road at what seems to have been a water mill.  On the way back I noticed a stile in the fence by the road, opposite Bridge 56.  There was no footpath sign, but I went over the stile, walked across the field to the bridge, and came back via the towpath.  At 10am I had a Zoom meeting to attend, and shortly after than finished the sun unexpectedly came out.  The towpath side here is the offside in the marina, so I took the opportunity to scrub the green algae stuff off the gunwale tops.  I did a few other odd jobs, had lunch, and then left at just after 1pm, heading for the marina.  You’d never know how miserable the day had been earlier.

I’m convinced that many of the trees are showing green shoots which they weren’t just a couple of days ago.  The towpath hedges look greener too.

When I got back to the marina, the gusty wind had dropped, and I did an even better spin into our berth than last week.  Of course no-one was watching.  As I tied up, a shower passed through.  I was out of food, so made a quick journey into Wolverton for something for dinner.  All afternoon there have been periods of sunshine followed by a shower.  Occasionally the rain and sunshine happened at the same time, at one point there were some big claps of thunder, and there’s just been a load of hailstones.  I’m at work very early in the morning, and will go home from there.

3 miles, 0 locks. (10 miles, 0 locks)

No comments: