Tuesday 13 July 2021

Narrowboats on the Thames

On Saturday, I’d been told that a convoy of narrowboats would be doing the Thames tideway, having got special permission to go under Hammersmith Bridge.  As I was working that afternoon, I timed my arrival at Waterloo Station so I could see some of them.  The convoy was in three parts, and I knew I’d miss the first group, but as I arrived on the South Bank I could see the middle group arriving.  I went up onto the Golden Jubilee Footbridge to take some photos.


There was then a wait of 15 minutes or so before the final group, which was the one I was waiting for.  On schedule, the first boat turned up, and it was only a matter of time before Oleanna came into view under the railway bridge.

I waved at Pip and Mick, then went to the other side of the bridge to get them with the London Eye.  There were lots of trip boats, clippers, and ribs on the move, and the Thames was very choppy.  There were waves coming over the bow, the boat was rocking back and forth, and the swell meant you could see almost down to the base plate.  I got a photo of Pip taking a photo of me!




The convoy headed off towards Westminster Bridge, and I went to work.  You can read Pip’s account of the whole trip here.



1 comment:

Pip and Mick said...

Thank you Adam for your photography, it was lovely to see you up on the bridge. Hope to catch up soon