Sunday 2 September 2018

Handrails: Day 1

It was a beautiful sunny morning.  I’d been glad to see when I arrived yesterday that the previously rusty bits of the handrails were still black — even though the Fertan had been washed off if rather shorter order than would have been ideal.  First thing, I was outside making sure they were clean and dry, and putting on some primer over the treated sections.  I wanted to get it done before it got too warm.  Once that was done I started on the next job, to mask up round the bits I’ll be painting.  I have followed the advice of Neil from Herbie, and Used the same masking tape he recently recommended.


I’d bought two rolls, which was just as well, as one turned out to be not quite enough.  I did most of the job, but masking the cabin side isn’t really something you can do while balancing on the gunwales.  So after I’d made a dash to Tesco for some food, and then had lunch, I headed out of the marina.  As I approached Cosgrove Lock I could see a Wyvern boat with the pole deployed.  It seems there had been quite a lot of boat’s and confusion just before I got there.  In fact a boat I though was on the water point also said they’d been waiting for the lock.  Once down, I looked for a mooring; there had been plenty of space up in the village but down here there were loads of boats.  I enventually found a space big enough and slotted in.  Then I did the rest of the masking tape application.  The primer also got a light sand, ready for tomorrow.


While I’ve been here, loads of boats and people have been past.  A little while ago a big family group came along and admired the little ash bin on the well deck.  They then peered in the galley window, virtually nose up to the glass (and we’re talking adults here, not children); they got a bit of a shock when they reached the dinette window and found me looking back at them.

1 mile, 1 lock.

3 comments:

Bruce in Sanity said...

Hi Adam

I think you’re working too hard – greengrocer’s apostrophes are creeping in!

;)

Cheers

Bruce

Adam said...

Hi Bruce

I blame the iPad! For some reason it always wants to put an apostrophe in boats — and I don’t always spot it. Drives me mad; or maybe I should say drive’s me mad!!

Bruce in Sanity said...

I know what you mean – mine has decided "lock" should always be spelt with a capital L!

Cheers

Bruce