Tuesday 20 May 2014

Pre-Crick -- Day 1

We both got up at 4 o'clock this morning.  The car was already packed, and we set off about 40 minutes later, bound for London.  I was dropped off at work, ready for my shift to start at 6.30.  Adrian carried on up to the boat, where he's been working remotely.  When my shift was over I got the train to Wolverton, Adrian collected me, and we were back at the marina soon after 4.

Within a few minutes, we were setting off.  Not far out of the marina, the local swan family came past.  Two cygnets were on the mother's back, and a third then forced its way on board.


My aim was the moorings below Stoke Bruerne bottom lock.  There's always a bit of apprehension when arriving in late afternoon, in case all the moorings are full.  As we turned the final corner, my heart sank as I spotted a boat moored in the rough off the end of the moorings.  Then the moorings themselves came into sight -- and were completely empty.  We picked a spot and moored up at just before 6pm; a little while later a Wyvern hire boat arrived and moored behind.

5 miles, 0 locks.

No comments: