Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Thrupp Wharf and Whilton

It was sunny and bright this morning, which I was pleased about as I had a boat test lined up.  I'd ddecided to move nearer the marina and the car, so had to go up Cosgrove lock.  I wasn't ready when the first boat went past, but when another came by at 9 o'clock I dropped everything and set off behind them.

It's much easier sharing a lock when you're single handed.  I still got off and worked paddles and gates though.  A single boat arrived to go down, so I even closed the gate my side and pushed Briar Rose over to the other side to leave the lock, so the downhill crew didn't have to walk all the way round.

When I got to Thrupp Wharf, I was delighted to see a mooring space opposite the marina - I don't recall seeing a space at these moorings before.  It was just long enough (there was at least a foot between my bow and the buoy marking the no mooring area opposite the marina entrance) and meant I didn't have to go into the marina and get into our berth.

Once moored up, I popped back to the boat club just the other side of the bridge where I talked to a man about his boat, which will eventually make a nice little feature article.  At mid-morning I walked round to the marina to the car.  It was strange seeing Briar Rose moored on the other side of the canal.

I drove to Whilton Marina, which is about 15 miles up the A5 for the boat test.  It had clouded over quite considerably which was annoying, but during the external photographs it was a least bright, even if it was trying to rain at the same time.

Once to test was done I drove back to Thrupp Wharf and parked the car.  I needed to run the boat engine to charge the batteries, so rather than staying opposite the pub and marina I decided to move on a bit.  Shortly after I set off there was a shower of rain, but it didn't amount to much.  My aim was to moor in a nice spot between Bridges 62 and 61.  In the spring, the towpath here was well cut, even looking reasonably manicured.  It's grown a bit since then, although I was able to find a gap in the vegetation to line up with the stern.

There's nothing on the tv again tonight, so I'll try to make a start on writing up today's boat test.  Fortunately, there's plenty to say.

3 miles, 1 lock.  (13.5 miles, 2 locks)


Captain Ahab said...

Hopefully those things to say are generally positive!

Captain Ahab said...

Hopefully those things to say are generally positive!

Adam said...

Well as I always say, boats that get to the boat test stage have to have something special or different about them!