Monday 27 April 2015

Annual Report

It's the end of our fourth year of owning Briar Rose.  This year we've covered 588 miles and passed through 402 locks.  We've spent 76 nights on board.  All of these are a little lower than the previous year, probably because our big September trip was three weeks rather than four, and also because we now don't seem to go so far each day.

Waterways travelled on were:
  • Grand Union mainline
  • Grand Union Aylesbury Arm
  • Grand Union Leicester Arm
  • Grand Union Paddington Arm
  • Grand Union Slough Arm
  • Hertford Union Canal
  • Limehouse Cut
  • Regent's Canal
  • River Lee
  • River Stort
  • River Thames
  • River Wey
Changes to the boat include the fitting of a Smart Gauge battery monitor, which we now wouldn't be without, and replacing the pump out loo with a composting one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this annual report - you are very disciplined to collate all the data :-)

Looking forward to your 2015 adventures :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Can you please tell me what you are using in your composting toilet? We have ordered one for fitting on nb Waka Huia when we get back to her in three weeks. But Jaq Biggs tells me that cocoa bean husks are not readily available now.
Cheers, Marilyn

Adam said...

Hi Marilyn -- yes, it seems there is a shortage of cocoa shells. I've not been able to find any anywhere. Nothing was supplied with our loo, so as we needed to take the boat home and therefore needed the loo to be working, I had to improvise. I bought a bag of the smallest garden bark I could find. I've also now bought some coco coir (which is made from the outside of coconuts) and is readily available in pet shops (it's in the reptile department, as it's used for the base of reptile tanks). I've seen reports of other people using this, so we'll see how it goes. However, if you have any other suggestions, let me know!