Sunday 31 August 2014

SmartGauge

A day which turned out slightly differently from the way planned.  I finished my night shifts this morning, and drove up to our marina.  Adrian arrived a few minutes later from home.  Then we went back down the M1 to High Line Yachting, where Briar Rose has been staying for a few weeks.

We unloaded the car and made the long trek along the towpath, with all the clothes we'll need for our next cruise.  We changed the bed and put the washing machine on, filled the water tank to the brim, and did something we'd been meaning to do for a while: fit a SmartGauge battery monitor.  I cut the hole to take the display, and Adrian wired it up.  We got it mail order from Canal Shop Online at Hillmorton Wharf, who delivered it to us very promptly.


We'd intended to go up to the end of the Slough Arm to turn the boat around, but there had been a bit of a staffing crisis at work, and I'd been on stand-by to do an extra night shift tonight.  Just before lunchtime, it was confirmed that I would have to work.  While Adrian was fitting the SmartGauge, I drove to the nearby Co-op to get us some lunch, and once we'd eaten, Adrian headed home while I went to sleep for a few hours.

One of the good things about High Line is the proximity of Langley Station, with trains taking a little over half an hour into Paddington.  I meant I didn't have to head to work until gone 8.30 this evening.  Moving the boat will have to wait until the morning.

1 comment:

Nev Wells said...

Top bit of kit, would not be without ours I brought the smartbank and relay as Percy had a split diode charging system before. The emergency start is great if I need to turn the big lump over in the cold, but really must consider changing the starter battery !

Nev