Thursday 29 June 2023

Back to the marina, eventually.

The forecast said it would be rainy and dull until almost lunchtime, and then clear up.  In fact it was wall to wall sunshine as soon as I woke up.  I did a couple of hours work on Tuesday’s boat test, and then felt I needed to have a walk.  I decided to walk down to the marina, and go to B&Q to get some wood treatment, to tackle some water damage in the engine room, from many years ago.  As it’s dried out, the wood below the porthole has gone very soft.  I walked back to the boat and got the treatment on the wood; of course it now looks worse, and needs filler.

I had a zoom staff meeting at lunchtime, then I did more boat test writing, pretty much completing the first draft by the end of the afternoon.  At some point around lunch time, a homeless chap I’d passed yesterday came by, and asked if I had any tea.  I put the kettle on and made him some, in his own thermos cup.  He was apparently on his way to Northampton.

There had been hopes of doing the second boat test this evening, but various problems arose and by mid afternoon it became clear it wasn’t going to happen.  I decided I’d stay where I was until after dinner, so it was gone 7pm when I set off.  It was a lovely evening for boating.


Back at the marina, I was pleased with my turn in, and even more pleased with getting into the berth without touching the sides.  I did another little job, on the side which had been on the waterside where I’d been moored.  A couple of windows had lost the rubber strip covering the screws along the top.  None of the window firms at the Crick Show had the correct thing, but one of them told me where to look online.  In truth the trim I bought was still a little wide, meaning it wouldn’t just slide in.  I found that a little blade on the corkscrew was ideal for helping it into place.  Anyway, here’s the before and after, and I’m absolutely certain it’s not going to fall out.


Tomorrow, it’s back to work.

1 mile, 0 locks.  (4 miles, 0 locks)

No comments: