Sunday 28 May 2023

Crick Show: Sunday

As it was Sunday, we had scrambled eggs on toast with mushrooms for breakfast.  Then I carried on writing up the mini reviews of show boats, while Adrian made another visit to the Co-op.  I can’t really do much more work on the boat reports until I know who’s come where in the public vote for Favourite boats.  Later we walked up to the show site, over the temporary bridge.


I needed to check a few things out that I’d either not noted down or had forgotten.  We had interesting chats with the guys on the Water Freedom stand, about their canal water filtration system, and various other people, before we had lunch and returned to the boat.  A little later there was a knock on the boat and it was Lesley and Joe, formerly of Caxton, Yarwood, and Steadfast — now of Toulouse.  We gave them tea and caught up on the news.  It was really great to see them, after quite a big gap.  I ducked out just before 3 because I needed to go to one of the seminar tents, to watch a discussion with Richard Parry of CRT about future funding of the waterways.  The government grant runs out in 2027, and news of the replacement settlement has been ‘imminent’ for months.  I got a couple of news lines out of the session, which was good.

This evening we went to The Wheatsheaf in the village for dinner.  The food was good, and I was particularly pleased with my choice of lamb chops from the specials menu.  We’ve been amused all weekend by the antics of a family of swans who live on the grassy knoll by the water point.  They were absent all day yesterday but arrived back this evening with all four cygnets clambering out of the water via the slightly collapsed concrete edging.


Later we’ll probably go back over and see the Queen tribute band, Mercury, who are playing tonight.

No comments: